A Travellerspoint blog

Day Trip to Tescos

Day Trip to Wales - Wye Valley

rain 6 °C
View Day Trip to Wales on kmmk17's travel map.

As Coronavirus has hit it's meant many of the plans for 2020 have gone out the window. For us this not only meant major things like our wedding, stag dos and honeymoon, but also other trips and breaks we had planned. As we try to make something of the year by doing new things we wouldn't have done otherwise as the lockdown eases, let me take you back to that week in March where everything went crazy and we had no idea what would happen from one day to the next.

So originally, we had planned ourselves a (somewhat) last minute trip to Egypt. This was already a Plan C, as we had originally been planning to go to the Caucasus before Turkey back in September, however my health problems peaked and we had to cancel the week and only got to do the second half of the holiday.

I cancelled my annual leave for the week and decided we'd reuse it later in the year when I'd (hopefully) feel a bit better. During the Autumn we had thought about booking a last minute trip away, and having wanted to try and enjoy a bit of sun we had looked at going to Mexico. We had found some good deals in Cancun, however just before we decided to settle some dates Thomas Cook went bust and all other operator's prices shot up making this a pretty poor deal.

Instead we decided to go away in mid-March, and seeking somewhere that would be warm, whilst still being interesting we settled on Egypt. We had a plan to visit the pyramids, Luxor and Abu Simbel, which was all going swimmingly until just a week or so before, when the threat of Coronavirus came.

As most people, in hindsight we had been rather delusional thinking it wouldn't cause too much of an effect and we'd probably be fine. However the closer it got to the trip the more things escalated. We had already packed our bits and were ready to jet off just a few days later when it became clear we wouldn't be back before lockdowns would start.

Just two days before we were due to fly we made the decision to cancel our trip and were able to turn this into a open ticket which we could use sometime later in the year when things settled down.

It is a good job we had cancelled, as five days into to the trip, and two days before we would have flown back, all international flights out of Egypt were stopped, and we would not have been able to fly home as planned anyway.

Having been the second holiday in six months we had had to cancel, it didn't feel as gutting as the first, however I still had the week off to take as this was my carryover and needed using by the end of the month. We decided to take the week off as planned anyway, and use it for something useful. We started the week by repainting our bathroom.

Knowing a lockdown was coming we also wanted to try and squeeze one last holiday in whilst we could, and so quickly researched a two day trip to Pembrokeshire in Wales, which we booked the night before we left after checking no new regulations had come in.

The following morning we left the house and started making our way to the Severn Bridge. We headed off towards Swindon, however not long after leaving, the stress of the whole situation started to get to us and we started to wonder if we had caught Coronavirus ourselves.

We continued driving to see if we'd feel a bit better, and not long later we crossed the River Severn and stopped in Chepstow on the English-Welsh border. It was raining and after popping inside the town's Tesco we ate some lunch in the rainy car park before continuing north up the Wye Valley.

Tintern Abbey

Tintern Abbey

We drove past the beautiful Tintern Abbey en route to Monmouth, where after arriving, we took a quick (rainy) walk around the centre of the small historic town before heading back to the car. By now we had to make a decision, do we continue towards Pembrokeshire or turn back and head home?

Monnow Bridge, Monmouth

Monnow Bridge, Monmouth

Sadly, we decided to turn back as we really didn't feel great and weren't sure if we were up to continuing. Abruptly ending our trip, and cancelling our third holiday we drove back home where we arrived by early evening.

It turned out we didn't have Coronavirus at the time but we simply didn't know. A few days later the lockdown came into force and with it, all our plans for the year went out the window.


Posted by kmmk17 03:18 Archived in United Kingdom Tagged rain wye

Email this entryFacebookStumbleUpon

Table of contents

Be the first to comment on this entry.

Comment with:

Comments left using a name and email address are moderated by the blog owner before showing.

Not published. Required
Leave this field empty

Characters remaining: